

Minutes of the General Assembly on 18th November, 2017

Minute taker: Colin Finck



ReactOS Deutschland e.V.

Am Bach 11
33378 Rheda-Wiedenbrück, Germany
deutschland@reactos.org

The General Assembly of the Association "ReactOS Deutschland e.V." took place in the internet (SSL secured IRC server) on 18th November, 2017 at 14:28 (local German time).

Attendant members

- Matthias Kupfer (President of the Association)
- Colin Finck (Treasurer)
- Pierre Schweitzer
- Timo Kreuzer
- Amine Khaldi
- Thomas Faber
- Mark Jansen
- Daniel Reimer (Vice President of the Association, from 16:17)

Summary

- The Board has been discharged of its responsibilities.
- All participants agreed to extend the term of the elected Board members until the next General Assembly and postpone the election until then. This vote became necessary, because the invitation mail to the General Assembly did not contain information about the reelection of Board members.
The participants have been asked to make up their minds about running for a Board member position by the next General Assembly. New Board member positions may also be introduced on the next election to account for the additional tasks of the Association since its establishment in 2009.
- Matthias Kupfer reported about ReactOS Deutschland e.V. taking over the registered ReactOS trademark in Russia and planning to register a trademark in Germany as well, possibly in the entire EU. This is happening, because several similarly named projects appeared recently.
- Colin Finck emphasized the balance stated in the Annual Report and reported about the possibilities of hiring IT freelancers or giving out scholarships to interested students in order to accelerate ReactOS development using that money. It was determined that the project is currently lacking a list of self-contained projects for such tasks. Furthermore, it is not advertising these possibilities sufficiently.
- The Association seeks to attend the FOSDEM in February, sharing a booth with the Haiku Project again. The attendant members were unsure whether they had the time to attend Chemnitzer Linux-Tage in March. Therefore, it is unclear whether ReactOS will have a booth at Chemnitzer Linux-Tage 2018. Likewise, it is unclear whether another ReactOS Hackfest will happen in 2018.
- Pierre Schweitzer reported about ReactOS community members publicly asking

members of the similarly named “ReactJS” project to change their name and logo due to the similarities. This got really poorly received by the ReactJS community while damaging our external image. Luckily, Pierre was contacted by a ReactJS member and he could state that this was not an official request, so the issue could be resolved without a legal dispute. However, to prevent such things from happening again, Pierre wants to establish official representatives for the project. It was decided to repurpose the legal@reactos.org E-Mail address for this and add it as a “Legal contact” to <https://reactos.org/impressum>.

The original wordings of all attendant members can be read in the attached IRC Log.

Aachen, 18th November, 2017

For the correctness of the minutes

(signed Colin Finck)

(Minute taker)

(signed Matthias Kupfer)

(President)

Attachments

- Automatically created IRC Log of the General Assembly
- Annual Report 2016

Automatically created IRC Log of the General Assembly

Notice: The time is given in UTC. For getting the German time on that day, add one hour.

[13:28] LogBot has joined #generalassembly with voice status
[13:28] VoteBot has joined #generalassembly with voice status
[13:29] Pierre_Schweitzer has joined #generalassembly with voice status
[13:29] Colin_Finck has joined #generalassembly with voice status
[13:43] Timo_Kreuzer has joined #generalassembly with voice status
[13:45] Matthias_Kupfer has joined #generalassembly with voice status
[13:46] Amine_Khalidi has joined #generalassembly with voice status
[13:46] <Amine_Khalidi> hi everyone!
[13:46] <Matthias_Kupfer> Hello
[13:48] <Matthias_Kupfer> Colin_Finck: what quorum is needed vor valid votes?
[13:49] <Matthias_Kupfer> especially for the board memembr related votes
[13:54] <Colin_Finck> Matthias_Kupfer: As we are not changing the Articles of Association today, no special quorum is necessary
[13:55] <Matthias_Kupfer> Colin_Finck: that's not completely true, because we need at least one non-board-member
[13:55] <Colin_Finck> We had to postpone the General Assembly twice. In 2011, when we wanted to change the Articles of Association and we missed the 2/3 quorum, and in 2016 when only the Board members were present
[13:56] Thomas_Faber has joined #generalassembly with voice status
[13:56] <Matthias_Kupfer> I see right now this won't happen today
[13:57] <Colin_Finck> Matthias_Kupfer: Yes, discharging the responsibilities of the Board is better done by non-Board members. But this is not a quorum part of our Articles of Association
[13:57] <Colin_Finck> it's rather common sense :)
[13:58] <Colin_Finck> so I think we can start right at 15:00 today
[13:58] <Colin_Finck> even though Mark announced that he is still going to join us
[13:59] Mark_Jansen has joined #generalassembly with voice status
[13:59] <Mark_Jansen> sup
[13:59] <Mark_Jansen> had client setup for /nickserv, but server needed /msg nickserv
[13:59] <Colin_Finck> perfect! :)
[14:00] <Mark_Jansen> (mail suggested /nickserv)
[14:00] <Colin_Finck> Mark_Jansen: /NS does work :P
[14:00] <Mark_Jansen> hexchat does /nickserv :p
[14:00] <Colin_Finck> #ACTION didn't know about /nickserv when implementing rosev_ircsystem. Will consider it#
[14:00] <Mark_Jansen> or ill send a PR to hexchat
[14:00] <Mark_Jansen> either way, im here
[14:00] <Colin_Finck> ok, 15:00, Matthias_Kupfer has the word
[14:00] <Matthias_Kupfer> So, now it's 1500 - let's start
[14:01] <Matthias_Kupfer> Let me first welcome you to our annual general assembly
[14:01] <Matthias_Kupfer> this time for 2016
[14:01] <Matthias_Kupfer> you got recently our annual report, which es very similiar to the previous years
[14:02] <Colin_Finck> except for the multiplied income from donations ;)
[14:02] <Matthias_Kupfer> I think everyone had the opportunity to read the report, are there any questions or remarks related to the report?
[14:02] <Pierre_Schweitzer> It's impressive the amount of donations
[14:03] <Pierre_Schweitzer> Never saw such balance
[14:03] <Mark_Jansen> yeah quite awesome
[14:04] <Matthias_Kupfer> Yes, and we should be ahve an eye on that, because the balanca mustn't grow further, otherwise we expect problems with the authorities
[14:04] <Colin_Finck> well, to phrase it differently: We must not eternally make money without spending it
[14:04] <Pierre_Schweitzer> Taxes?
[14:05] <Matthias_Kupfer> Pierre_Schweitzer: no, taxes aren't a problem, you can pay the and that's it
[14:05] <Pierre_Schweitzer> What would be the issue then?
[14:05] <Thomas_Faber> Right. The very end mentions looking into "IT freelancers". Is more support needed in terms of looking into that, or is there some work in progress?
[14:06] <Matthias_Kupfer> but the status might become in danger if we collect more money as we need
[14:06] <Colin_Finck> Thomas_Faber: Well, we can hire IT freelancers and we are doing that with Vadim
[14:06] <Matthias_Kupfer> the authorities accept limited savings for charity organisations like us
[14:06] <Mark_Jansen> so ideally we would hire 1 or 2 devs more?
[14:07] <Colin_Finck> I would definitely welcome suggestions for hiring more people or supporting students working on ReactOS with a scholarship
[14:08] <Colin_Finck> depending on the rates the freelancers ask for, we may even hire more than 2
[14:08] <Matthias_Kupfer> the balance is from end 2016, Colin_Finck can you easily update us what the balance is today?
[14:08] <Thomas_Faber> Colin_Finck: yeah, that's great. I guess I don't have good insight into whether and how that's being managed sufficiently, or whether it's hard to find more people etc.
[14:09] <Colin_Finck> Matthias_Kupfer: about 35000€
[14:10] <Matthias_Kupfer> can we postpone the discussion about future paid development, because it's a later agenda point?
[14:10] <Thomas_Faber> Oh, perfect. Certainly
[14:10] <Matthias_Kupfer> I would like to continue with our agenda, are there any questions regarding the report?
[14:10] <Matthias_Kupfer> okay, that doesn't seem to be the case, so we can proceed with the tricky issue
[14:11] <Thomas_Faber> Report sounds good to me, no more questions.
[14:11] <Matthias_Kupfer> Now we need the discharging of the board
[14:12] <Matthias_Kupfer> furthermore we need an extraordinary prolongation of the board members due to the forgotten announcement of the board election
[14:12] <Matthias_Kupfer> Colin_Finck: for the second decision are board members exclude as well?
[14:13] <Colin_Finck> Matthias_Kupfer: I can set that up
[14:13] <Matthias_Kupfer> please answer my question first
[14:13] <Matthias_Kupfer> what do you think?
[14:13] <Colin_Finck> makes sense to me
[14:13] <Colin_Finck> so let's have Board members excluded for both questions
[14:14] <Matthias_Kupfer> okay, so Colin_Finck please setup both votes for you and exclude the board members
[14:14] <Colin_Finck> ok
[14:14] <VoteBot> Colin_Finck has set up a vote and I'm asking all participating members in private messages now.
[14:14] <VoteBot> Excluded from voting:
[14:14] <VoteBot> Colin_Finck
[14:14] <VoteBot> Matthias_Kupfer
[14:15] <VoteBot> The vote is over. Here are the results!
[14:15] <VoteBot> Question: Do you agree with discharging the responsibilities of the Board? (in German: "Sprechen Sie dem Vorstand Entlastung aus?")
[14:15] <VoteBot> Answers:
[14:15] <VoteBot> Abstention - 0 votes
[14:15] <VoteBot> Yes - 5 votes
[14:15] <VoteBot> No - 0 votes
[14:15] <VoteBot> Total number of votes: 5
[14:15] <Colin_Finck> Thank you! :)
[14:15] <Matthias_Kupfer> Thank you
[14:15] <Thomas_Faber> No, thank you, as usual, for your great work :)

[14:15] <Matthias_Kupfer> So, now the tricky one, Colin your turn please

[14:16] <Mark_Jansen> +1 Thomas_Faber

[14:16] <Amine_Khalidi> +1 :)

[14:18] <VoteBot> Colin_Finck has set up a vote and I'm asking all participating members in private messages now.

[14:18] <VoteBot> Excluded from voting:

[14:18] <VoteBot> Colin_Finck

[14:18] <VoteBot> Matthias_Kupfer

[14:18] <VoteBot> The vote is over. Here are the results!

[14:18] <VoteBot> Question: Do you agree with extending the term of the elected Board members until the next General Assembly and postponing the election until then?

[14:18] <VoteBot> Answers:

[14:18] <VoteBot> Abstention - 0 votes

[14:18] <VoteBot> Yes - 5 votes

[14:18] <VoteBot> No - 0 votes

[14:18] <VoteBot> Total number of votes: 5

[14:18] <Colin_Finck> Thank you! This solved our deadlock :)

[14:19] <Matthias_Kupfer> Thank you

[14:19] <Matthias_Kupfer> Please make up your mind, whether you might be available for the board until the next general assembly

[14:19] <Colin_Finck> I have plenty of reasons to finish the Annual Report 2017 sooner, and not postponing the election much further is just another one, so I hope we will really have the next General Assembly around March

[14:20] <Matthias_Kupfer> I think it would be a good opportunity to get new people in the board

[14:21] <Matthias_Kupfer> but i think the treasurer should be a german person due to the tax and law issues

[14:21] <Colin_Finck> we may also introduce new Board positions. ReactOS Deutschland e.V. is doing much more since we established it in 2009

[14:21] <Matthias_Kupfer> corr. at least the treasurer

[14:21] <Matthias_Kupfer> So the next point is our current work

[14:21] <Colin_Finck> I think Matthias_Kupfer should send out a Doodle for the next General Assembly this evening, so you can already make up your mind about a date

[14:22] <Mark_Jansen> sounds good

[14:22] <Matthias_Kupfer> okay, I will do that

[14:22] <Colin_Finck> thanks!

[14:23] <Matthias_Kupfer> now the current activites

[14:23] <Matthias_Kupfer> I think it's not necessary mentioning the development in more detail

[14:24] <Matthias_Kupfer> therefore let me start with some other stuff

[14:24] <Matthias_Kupfer> ReactOS Detuschland is going to takeover the registered trademark for Russia

[14:25] <Matthias_Kupfer> In connection to this activities we plan to register a trademakr in Germany as well, maybe for the entire EU

[14:25] <Pierre_Schweitzer> That's a sound way to spend the money ;-)

[14:26] <Matthias_Kupfer> This is because of safety and because of confusion of other projects with similiar names

[14:26] <Matthias_Kupfer> to avoid any problems in future

[14:27] <Colin_Finck> I'm usually not a fan of putting too much money into lawyers and consultants. However, there are good reasons to renew the Russian trademark and use the priority date of it for further registrations

[14:27] <Matthias_Kupfer> bear in mind the reactJS issue

[14:27] <Colin_Finck> just too many similar sounding projects appearing recently

[14:27] <Pierre_Schweitzer> What's the trademark, btw? ReactOS or React Operating System?

[14:27] <Colin_Finck> ReactOS

[14:27] <Pierre_Schweitzer> OK

[14:27] <Mark_Jansen> should it include the logo?

[14:28] <Matthias_Kupfer> to give you a rogh impression, there are text trademakrs and combined text image trademarks

[14:29] <Matthias_Kupfer> we didn't make up our mind, but i think we tend to register the combined text/image trademark

[14:29] <Colin_Finck> The current Russian one seems to be a combined trademark, but only to emphasize the punctuation ("ReactOS") of "REACTOS": <https://www.tmdn.org/tmview/get-detail?st13=RU500000000375734>

[14:30] <Matthias_Kupfer> the area of ussage is divided in 45 classes and (IFAIR) 4 classes are included

[14:31] <Matthias_Kupfer> the registration/prolongation fee for 10 years is below 1000€, which means less then 100€ per year

[14:31] <Matthias_Kupfer> so we can afford that for sure

[14:31] <Colin_Finck> well, I think there are no objections to registering the trademarks, so we may continue

[14:31] <Amine_Khalidi> #ACTION nods#

[14:32] <Pierre_Schweitzer> Ditto

[14:33] <Matthias_Kupfer> okay, there are no further infos from my side, Colin can you summarize the activities?

[14:33] <Colin_Finck> well, I think that's what the Annual Report has already done. As we just started to discuss, there are plenty of reasons to hire additional freelancers or support them with a scholarship

[14:34] <Colin_Finck> basically, if an IT freelancer just sends us an invoice and deals with taxes, social security, etc. himself, we can just contract him

[14:35] <Mark_Jansen> Do we facilitate this good enough?

[14:35] <Mark_Jansen> as in, are we findable, do we have a list of self-contained projects that needs work?

[14:35] <Colin_Finck> scholarships are simpler, but only for eligible students. But I think I've said that plenty of times. So we basically just need the people

[14:35] <Colin_Finck> Mark_Jansen: I'm afraid such a list is only made up each year when we apply for Google Summer of Code

[14:36] <Mark_Jansen> ok

[14:36] <Colin_Finck> on the other hand, people are afraid to just put us up on websites with job listings, because we are really special

[14:37] <Matthias_Kupfer> If there is anyone willing to develop on reactos on a contract basis (freelancer) we can provide offers

[14:37] <Colin_Finck> I think some guys tried it a while ago without telling and totally crazy guys contacted us to work for ReactOS

[14:37] <Mark_Jansen> heh

[14:37] <Colin_Finck> so something like this needs to be organized

[14:37] <Colin_Finck> but we show each year that we can actually compile a good list of stuff that needs work

[14:38] <Timo_Kreuzer> About how much payment are we talking here when hiring people?

[14:38] <Mark_Jansen> yeah

[14:38] <Colin_Finck> so let's do that on a regular basis

[14:38] <Colin_Finck> Timo_Kreuzer: so far, we have never paid out more than 1000€ per month to an individual person (and that was a scholarship)

[14:39] <Matthias_Kupfer> Timo_Kreuzer: the payment depends on the region of origin, I tend to use the google base (GSOC) for comparison

[14:39] <Mark_Jansen> Some of our devs are students, would it be possible to pay them for their time spent on ros?

[14:39] <Mark_Jansen> So that they do not need to find an extra job.

[14:39] <Matthias_Kupfer> they define a monthly rate for almost every country in us-dollar

[14:40] <Colin_Finck> I don't want to say that 1000€ is the maximum, it's certainly not enough for the vast majority of IT freelancers out there. But we haven't really made up our mind about a maximum either yet

[14:40] <Matthias_Kupfer> Mark_Jansen: the problem with students is, as freelancer you hacte to take care of all things yourself (taxes, social security aso)

[14:40] <Colin_Finck> Mark_Jansen: This is what we have our scholarship model for :)

[14:41] <Matthias_Kupfer> Colin_Finck: 1000€ for what unit (contract?)

[14:41] <Colin_Finck> Matthias_Kupfer: I just said that we never spent more than 1000€ on a single person per month so far. Of course, this is just one statistic for us and a real contract depends on much more, like the actual work, duration, country, etc.

[14:42] <Colin_Finck> so we can talk about any contract proposal

[14:42] <Colin_Finck> there just haven't been a lot so far

[14:42] <Matthias_Kupfer> okay, so I misunderstood your previous statement, sorry

[14:43] <Timo_Kreuzer> I would know people, but I doubt we can afford paying them enough

[14:43] <Pierre_Schweitzer> The 1k€ thingy means that what you pay, but no what they get in the end? You also pay taxes and so on?

[14:43] <Colin_Finck> Pierre_Schweitzer: Depends on your country. You send us an invoice and as a freelancer, you care about paying the necessary taxes yourself

[14:44] <Matthias_Kupfer> Pierre_Schweitzer: for the contracts yes, but it depends heavily on the country

[14:44] <Pierre_Schweitzer> You don't to pay taxes yourselves?

[14:44] <Matthias_Kupfer> Pierre_Schweitzer: freelancer pay all things themselves, we don't pay anything else the the contracted amount
[14:45] <Colin_Finck> well, if the taxes are part of the invoice you send us, we pay them of course
[14:45] <Pierre_Schweitzer> Ah yes, true, sorry
[14:45] <Colin_Finck> Timo_Kreuzer: well, we can talk about that here or later
[14:46] <Colin_Finck> it's all a question of: What can they do for us that others can't, how long would it take, and how much would that cost?
[14:46] <Matthias_Kupfer> exactly, in other words: Is it worth to spend that amount of money for the offered work
[14:46] <Colin_Finck> Would they significantly bring React05 forward in a way, so that we can defend spending money on them towards our donors?
[14:47] <Timo_Kreuzer> Well the people I had in mind would be Jeoff Chappell, who works (worked) as a freelancer. Pavel Josifovich, who might also still be looking for a new job. They are both not cheap students from a low wage country.
[14:48] <Mark_Jansen> i think jeoff chappell is way out of our current range, iirc i looked at that last meeting
[14:48] <Matthias_Kupfer> Timo_Kreuzer: we aren't in the IT business a competitive player - and we'll never be
[14:48] <Colin_Finck> hmm, hiring the author of Windows Internals 7th Edition.. what could possibly go wrong? :D
[14:49] <Matthias_Kupfer> Colin_Finck: running out of money to fast? ;-)
[14:50] <Matthias_Kupfer> so for the next and upcoming activities, I think we take part the CLT again, are there further events planned?
[14:50] <Timo_Kreuzer> Yes, if we need to get rid of money, they will do the job :)
[14:50] <Colin_Finck> jokes aside, I'm pretty sure we could always defend towards our donors that e.g. Pavel Yosifovich has excellent knowledge of Windows Internals and is worth more than newbies. However, on what part could he (legally) work for us?
[14:52] <Matthias_Kupfer> Colin_Finck: Do you plan a hackfest for 2018?
[14:52] <Mark_Jansen> Timo_Kreuzer: geoff asks ~ \$400 per hour.
[14:52] <Mark_Jansen> for undocumented stuff
[14:52] <Timo_Kreuzer> Mark_Jansen: oh, ok :D
[14:53] <Colin_Finck> Timo_Kreuzer: Are you in contact with both? Do you think they could significantly bring us forward on important stuff, where it's worth spending money?
[14:53] <Matthias_Kupfer> Mark_Jansen: that sounds outrageous to me
[14:54] <Mark_Jansen> Matthias_Kupfer:
[14:54] <Mark_Jansen> > This discount rate of \$350 per hour is also available if you establish a reasonable expectation of providing well-organised problems for at least 40 hours per month over six months or more.
[14:54] <Pierre_Schweitzer> Naive question Timo_Kreuzer, would they mentor people on the project?
[14:54] <Pierre_Schweitzer> So that we can avoid some legal issues, they would likely cost cheaper?
[14:54] <Pierre_Schweitzer> And help students level up in Windows Internals?
[14:54] <Mark_Jansen> on the other hand, geoff wants to document undocumented stuff, and this is what he likes from his work
[14:54] <Pierre_Schweitzer> That could be an idea for scholarships / GSoC?
[14:54] <Matthias_Kupfer> Mark_Jansen: i remember that the second offer is more outrageous then the first one
[14:54] <Mark_Jansen> so maybe can be negotiated that we pay him for writing documentation
[14:55] <Timo_Kreuzer> Colin_Finck: Well I have Pavel's email and I know him personally.
[14:56] <Matthias_Kupfer> I think we can ask them until they start laughing
[14:56] <Mark_Jansen> asking doesnt hurt
[14:57] <Colin_Finck> yep
[14:58] <Matthias_Kupfer> so, let's come back to the planned activities and events, I already tried to focus some minutes ago
[14:58] <Colin_Finck> Amine_Khalidi: Do you know any other people worth asking? You are always in contact with the entire React05 community and possible newbies :)
[14:59] <Mark_Jansen> we are planned for a stand on fosdem
[14:59] <Mark_Jansen> victor has applied for a stand with haiku
[14:59] <Mark_Jansen> i will attend as well
[14:59] <Colin_Finck> which is great!
[15:00] <Mark_Jansen> its 3,4 feb
[15:00] <Matthias_Kupfer> Colin_Finck: anything planned from your side in 2018?
[15:00] <Mark_Jansen> i will look into marketing material this month or dec
[15:00] <Mark_Jansen> stickers, maybe magnets
[15:00] <Colin_Finck> Matthias_Kupfer: Regarding your Hackfest question, I haven't planned anything yet and again I don't know where I'll be in the middle of 2018, because I will finish my Master's degree in April
[15:01] <Matthias_Kupfer> Colin_Finck: are you going to leave germany in 2018?
[15:01] <Colin_Finck> Not sure yet
[15:01] <Matthias_Kupfer> okay
[15:01] <Thomas_Faber> Hackfests seem like one of the most productive ways to spend money, so we should try to do many of them :D
[15:02] <Pierre_Schweitzer> Colin_Finck: come working in Paris ;-)
[15:02] <Colin_Finck> Thomas_Faber: Yep!
[15:02] <Colin_Finck> and if anyone takes the lead on that, he will have my full support with organizing
[15:02] <Matthias_Kupfer> okay, any further activities planned for 2018 worth to be announced today?
[15:02] <Colin_Finck> however, if it depends on me, I cannot guarantee anything for 2018
[15:03] <Colin_Finck> but you all see, money is not the problem (anymore) for organizing a Hackfest ;)
[15:03] <Colin_Finck> Matthias_Kupfer: I guess we'll be at CLT again, but Daniel would need to tell us
[15:03] <Matthias_Kupfer> Colin_Finck: I can register React05 as well, so there is no issue
[15:04] <Colin_Finck> great! But we also need people for the booth again
[15:04] <Colin_Finck> this year, it was just Daniel and me in the end
[15:04] <Matthias_Kupfer> If there is nothing more, I want to continue
[15:04] <Mark_Jansen> send a mail to ros-dev as soon as you have dates?
[15:04] <Pierre_Schweitzer> I may have a look at events in France
[15:04] <Pierre_Schweitzer> (and likely in Paris)
[15:04] <Colin_Finck> oh yes :)
[15:04] <Pierre_Schweitzer> But it'll depend on my work availabilities
[15:04] <Mark_Jansen> i should have enough days i can take off, so i might attend some more
[15:04] <Pierre_Schweitzer> I'll let you know as soon as I can
[15:05] <Matthias_Kupfer> Mark_Jansen: CLT are around 10/11 March 2018
[15:05] <Pierre_Schweitzer> (I was thinking about highjacking the kernel recipes, to show them was a kernel can be when it's not Linux :-))
[15:05] <Pierre_Schweitzer> s/them was/them what/
[15:06] <Matthias_Kupfer> has anyone recently moved, so that we need to update the address data?
[15:06] <Mark_Jansen> feb
[15:06] <Colin_Finck> Mark_Jansen: not sure if I have your latest address, so please just send me the details by E-Mail
[15:06] <Mark_Jansen> ok will do
[15:07] <Amine_Khalidi> apologies, was called for a moment
[15:07] <Mark_Jansen> i think you have the latest, but ill send it
[15:07] <Amine_Khalidi> #ACTION reads up#
[15:07] <Colin_Finck> Pierre_Schweitzer: I think I still have an old address from you too
[15:08] <Pierre_Schweitzer> You've got the one in Clermont?
[15:08] <Colin_Finck> yep
[15:08] <Pierre_Schweitzer> OK, I'll update it (make sure it doesn't leak :-))
[15:09] <Matthias_Kupfer> If ther no further address updates we can proceed with the misc section and Pierre_Schweitzer requested the word
[15:10] <Pierre_Schweitzer> Thanks Matthias_Kupfer
[15:10] <Pierre_Schweitzer> I'd like we brainstorm a bit and find a way to handle recent events that occurred
[15:10] <Pierre_Schweitzer> For these who missed the thing, we caught an issue with Facebook and the ReactJS team
[15:11] <Pierre_Schweitzer> To make it short, some people of the React05 community came to ReactJS bugtracker to open a bug report, asking them to change their name and logo
[15:11] <Pierre_Schweitzer> Because it was harming the React05 project and even copying our image
[15:12] <Pierre_Schweitzer> This got really poorly received by the ReactJS community while damaging our external image
[15:12] <Pierre_Schweitzer> Luckily, someone from the ReactJS contacted me wisely asking me "Are you legally threatening us?" like in "should we fire back with our lawyers?"
[15:13] <Matthias_Kupfer> I think we should make clear to our community, that such issues can be addressed by representatives not by anyone

[15:13] <Pierre_Schweitzer> This would have been rather bad for our project

[15:13] <Pierre_Schweitzer> That was my idea Matthias_Kupfer, but then, who are the representatives? And also, ReactOS is everyone's project, it's FOSS afterall. So how can people accept that thing?

[15:14] <Mark_Jansen> well for starters we can at least ask them to play this via our registered organization

[15:14] <Mark_Jansen> since that is the one that is going to catch flak if there will be a legal battle

[15:14] <Matthias_Kupfer> I think the representatives are following persons in descending order: project coordinator, board member of foundations in descending of their importance

[15:14] <Matthias_Kupfer> after that memebtrs of the foundations and noone else

[15:15] <Pierre_Schweitzer> One of the guys involved isn't a starter. It's Alexander Rechitskiy

[15:15] <Pierre_Schweitzer> Who puts everywhere he's part of ReactOS Org and so on

[15:15] <Matthias_Kupfer> *descending order

[15:16] <Pierre_Schweitzer> The foundation? The Russian one? Or the e.V.?

[15:16] <Mark_Jansen> would it be an idea to create an email address for this, where people can 'submit' possible legal issues? that will be read by the mentioned people, and will respond ?

[15:17] <Daniel_Reimer> has joined #generalassembly with voice status

[15:17] <Matthias_Kupfer> If that doesn't work we should contact the otehr side actively and make a statement like "we have free speech and any community member write his/her opinion" legal issues are discussed with the representatives only, which are:"

[15:17] <Pierre_Schweitzer> Like some official.inquiries@reactos.org Matthias_Kupfer?

[15:17] <Pierre_Schweitzer> * Mark_Jansen

[15:17] <Mark_Jansen> yeah Pierre_Schweitzer

[15:17] <Pierre_Schweitzer> That's actually what I did Matthias_Kupfer, but, that adds a bit of stress

[15:17] <Pierre_Schweitzer> And we cannot have an eye everywhere :-)

[15:17] <Mark_Jansen> so people like rechitskiy also can see we take this serious

[15:18] <Matthias_Kupfer> Pierre_Schweitzer: I wrote foundations in the descnedng order of their importance, so i guess the German one comes first

[15:18] <Colin_Finck> if anybody claims to be representing "ReactOS Deutschland e.V.", we would fire back. Matthias_Kupfer is right that only the Board members represent the German foundation, or people we have given permission.

[15:18] <Matthias_Kupfer> was rechitsky making trouble in this issue?

[15:19] <Mark_Jansen> and i think if we include that the ev is the legal entity, they can appreciate that the ev will contact the other parties?

[15:19] <Daniel_Reimer> Hello, as expected, too late...

[15:20] <Matthias_Kupfer> I believe we can overcome that a representative is necessary, even for a community driven project

[15:21] <Pierre_Schweitzer> He was helping the thing to go wrong Matthias_Kupfer

[15:21] <Matthias_Kupfer> I stick to the point the representatives are the boards of the affected foundations, we haven't decide the responsibilities for legal matters yet

[15:21] <Pierre_Schweitzer> Maybe could we make a statement in that direction Matthias_Kupfer? Especially if e.V. takes over the trademark?

[15:21] <Matthias_Kupfer> but I think it would help if we make a statement on reactos.org "For legal issues contact:"

[15:22] <Pierre_Schweitzer> Yup

[15:22] <Colin_Finck> Pierre_Schweitzer: If we want more backing of ReactOS Deutschland e.V. in these cases, we first need to make it the unmistakable official organization behind the project

[15:22] <Matthias_Kupfer> It's wise to handle such issues in a calm way, not everyone is capable doing this, Amine already contacted me for that issue some time ago

[15:23] <Mark_Jansen> this is why it is good to play it via the ev

[15:23] <Mark_Jansen> because the ev can be proxy and calm the conversation

[15:23] <Mark_Jansen> imo

[15:23] <Mark_Jansen> :)

[15:23] <Matthias_Kupfer> Colin_Finck: I don't want the impression "The Germans takeover again"

[15:23] <Mark_Jansen> so include a few non-germans

[15:24] <Pierre_Schweitzer> Agreed with Mark_Jansen

[15:24] <Daniel_Reimer> Well, it's a german e.V. now opening for everyone else for a while, sooo... who cares?

[15:24] <Daniel_Reimer> :P

[15:24] <Colin_Finck> well, we already manage most of the money behind the project and I have always invited others to join e.V.

[15:24] <Matthias_Kupfer> But we can be a first contact point and hide the internal responsibilities

[15:24] <Matthias_Kupfer> I think a easy rechable statement on our webseite will do

[15:25] <Matthias_Kupfer> *website

[15:25] <Pierre_Schweitzer> That sounds like a reasonable start, for sure!

[15:26] <Pierre_Schweitzer> With a "legal@" alias to ev@?

[15:26] <Matthias_Kupfer> Colin_Finck: maybe we have to introduce some new email-addresses

[15:26] <Matthias_Kupfer> or at least some aliases

[15:26] <Daniel_Reimer> So you want a statement that shows who really is from us and who not? Like if a crazy guy from somewhere else once more thinks he has to save the world/reactos, we can stop that by a statement?

[15:26] <Mark_Jansen> no

[15:27] <Mark_Jansen> more a statement not to attack other entities in our name

[15:27] <Mark_Jansen> simply said

[15:27] <Daniel_Reimer> WHat I mean

[15:27] <Pierre_Schweitzer> Well, no that simply said Mark_Jansen

[15:27] <Colin_Finck> Pierre_Schweitzer: please check with Aleksey if the current legal@ alias is still being used. Otherwise, we can repurpose it

[15:27] <Mark_Jansen> well no the statement should be a bit more political correct Pierre_Schweitzer :p

[15:27] <Daniel_Reimer> Then give the head a mail address, a OFFICIAL one and any correspondence has to come form there or is OT official. As we did with ev@ a while now

[15:28] <Matthias_Kupfer> I mean neither, but a statement like "for legal issues contact:...."

[15:28] <Pierre_Schweitzer> And it should also state that only a few people are allowed to speak officially for ReactOS and legal matters

[15:28] <Pierre_Schweitzer> And in case of doubt, we put the contact on the page

[15:28] <Pierre_Schweitzer> Colin_Finck: I don't have strong skills in contacting ghosts ;-)

[15:28] <Pierre_Schweitzer> But I can try :-p

[15:28] <Matthias_Kupfer> everyone can tell anything, but any "atttecked" entity can contact our legal issue address if there is anything coming up whciht needs to be clarified

[15:29] <Matthias_Kupfer> and we can expect from almost everyone to start with such steps

[15:29] <Mark_Jansen> +1

[15:29] <Pierre_Schweitzer> Yup, especially when they feel threatened, they look for some "legal" section on our website

[15:29] <Matthias_Kupfer> it's like a company, noone will contract or sue an empoyer if he/seh make any promises or similiar

[15:30] <Daniel_Reimer> Sure, but one thing should change a bit in that case. If we as e.V. do legal talk for Reactos itself, we need the e.V. be migrated OR at least easier to find on the main page

[15:30] <Daniel_Reimer> not some text only sub page

[15:31] <Matthias_Kupfer> I was talking about a contact address, it's not mandatory to say that the e.v. si behind that address

[15:32] <Matthias_Kupfer> anyway, let's start eith a "legal contact" disclaimer and an information "not everyone is allowed to speak on behalf of the entire reactos project

[15:32] <Matthias_Kupfer> *disclaimer

[15:32] <Matthias_Kupfer> "

[15:33] <Colin_Finck> That page needs to be changed then: <https://reactos.org/impressum>

[15:33] <Matthias_Kupfer> and if there is another issue popping up we can refer both sides to this page

[15:33] <Daniel_Reimer> Sounds good

[15:34] <Mark_Jansen> thanks for bringing this up Pierre_Schweitzer :)

[15:34] <Matthias_Kupfer> Colin_Finck: I think an extension will do

[15:34] <Colin_Finck> Pierre_Schweitzer: please try to reach Aleksey regarding that and then we can change the page

[15:34] <Pierre_Schweitzer> I'm fine with this Matthias_Kupfer

[15:34] <Pierre_Schweitzer> So, for impressum and legal@ Colin_Finck?

[15:34] <Colin_Finck> yes please

[15:34] <Matthias_Kupfer> Pierre_Schweitzer: for the entire issue and our opinion

[15:35] <Matthias_Kupfer> and the proposed solution, but i think he will be fine with that
[15:35] <Pierre_Schweitzer> OK
[15:35] <Colin_Finck> <http://www.libreoffice.org/about-us> sounds like a good template
[15:35] <Colin_Finck> we also get support requests at the e.V. address from time to time, so a disclaimer may change this
[15:36] <Colin_Finck> ok, I think that's it!
[15:37] <Matthias_Kupfer> anything more for "misc"?
[15:37] <Mark_Jansen> not from me
[15:37] <Pierre_Schweitzer> Nothing from me, I'm done ;-)
[15:37] <Colin_Finck> I will contact Timo_Kreuzer and Amine_Khaldi regarding development contracts after the meeting
[15:38] <Timo_Kreuzer> ok, but I'll be away now until maybe 8pm
[15:38] <Colin_Finck> ok, then I'll contact you another day
[15:39] <Daniel_Reimer> Sry once more for missing most of it from my side...
[15:39] <Matthias_Kupfer> okay, I will setup the new doodle next week for the next assembly in march
[15:39] <Colin_Finck> March or April please
[15:40] <Matthias_Kupfer> So, I conclude our meeting today with thanks and a good time (christmas time)
[15:40] <Matthias_Kupfer> please make up your mind becomming a board member for the next assembly
[15:40] <Mark_Jansen> ok, thanks for hosting it :)
[15:41] <Amine_Khaldi> thank you again for everything you're doing
[15:41] <Matthias_Kupfer> Ithat's all from my side, cu again next year in this channel
[15:41] <Colin_Finck> See you guys! I'm shutting down the IRC Server now
[15:41] <Daniel_Reimer> cu
[15:41] <Mark_Jansen> allright



ReactOS Deutschland e.V.

Am Bach 11
33378 Rheda-Wiedenbrück, Germany
deutschland@reactos.org

Annual Report 2016

As stipulated in the Articles of Association of ReactOS Deutschland e.V., the Annual Report gives an overview of the work of the Association in the year 2016. It is separated into Activities, Outlook and Finances. The primary purpose of the Association lies in the support of the ReactOS Project. In 2016, the main tasks were:

- Organizing the participation in Google Summer of Code as well as on popular exhibitions/events
- Awarding scholarships to eligible students working on ReactOS

Activities

The following annual activities, which directly contribute to the Association's purpose, are not presented in detail. These were in particular:

- Continued development on the operating system ReactOS and related components (like RosBE), also by non-members
- Receiving donations and managing the collected funds
- Accounting and managing the members

The ReactOS Project has released the long-awaited version 0.4 in February along with a new website. This has sparked a huge media attention and multiplied the number of donations to ReactOS Deutschland e.V. throughout the entire year.

At the end of February, the ReactOS Project also received confirmation to participate in the Google Summer of Code 2016 event. This came as a positive surprise, because ReactOS was accepted for the first time since 2011. From April to August, members of the project successfully mentored 4 students to work on 4 ReactOS tasks. The involved people and ReactOS Deutschland e.V. were later financially rewarded by Google.

As every year, project members also presented the Operating System at popular Open Source exhibitions in 2016. This includes the FOSDEM in January as well as the Chemnitzer Linux-Tage in March. ReactOS Deutschland e.V. again supported this by covering the merchandising and travelling expenses. Due to a lack of time of the members, the project was not demonstrated on any further events in 2016. For the same reason, there also has not been a ReactOS Hackfest in that year.

By the end of 2016, ReactOS Deutschland e.V. could award two new scholarships. They are meant as financial support for students contributing to the ReactOS Project. We hope that the scholarships allow them to extend their participation in ReactOS.

No infrastructure upgrades occurred in 2016 and the next hosting invoice is scheduled for 2017. This is why infrastructure costs merely boil down to domain renewals in 2016.

Outlook

For 2017, members of ReactOS Deutschland e.V. plan to participate in more Open Source exhibitions. Apart from our traditional booths at FOSDEM and Chemnitzer Linux-Tage, this will also include the FrOSCon event in Bonn for the first time. Depending on the time of the organizing members, there may also be another ReactOS Hackfest in 2017. The Association will continue to support such events by accounting for the accommodation and travel expenses.

ReactOS Deutschland e.V. also seeks to contract IT freelancers to work on ReactOS as well as supporting suitable candidates with a scholarship.

Finances

Incomes

Donations:	13,538.63 €
Google Summer of Code Student Mentoring:	3,838.69 €
Currency Exchange Adjustment Posting:	2,123.94 €
Membership fees:	450.00 €

Expenses

Scholarships:	3,360.00 €
Travel expenses:	237.00 €
Advertising costs:	53.43 €
Infrastructure costs (Domains):	32.32 €
Bank fees:	0.70 €

Totals

Total incomes:	17,827.32 €
Total expenses:	3,683.45 €
Reserves from 2015:	16,924.21 €
Balance on 2016-12-31:	33,192.02 €

Matthias Kupfer (President of the Board)
Daniel Reimer (Vice President)
Colin Finck (Board Member/Treasurer)